Mounts for TunerView

Reply to topic

Error Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:13 pm

I deleted the ashtray, relocated the lighter, made some sort of console for the TVII and covered it with plywood, which I wrapped in carbon foil (as well as the ugly 'wanna-look-like-a-plastic-tree'-trim stuff

Pic:

USB cable is constantly plugged in, here's where the cable comes out:

Error

Send private message View user's profile

HRTuning Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:14 pm

Pretty clean install.

HRTuning

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address

nylumiro24 Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:24 am

that's clean bro... Very Happy

nylumiro24

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger

Error Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:34 pm

I realized i had it different before this setup. Moved the radio down and put it in the radio slot. Crashed the clock to run the usb cable through it..

(and the dash trim not carbonized)

Error

BLU CIVIC Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:38 am

just finished installing mine. looks a lot better than my last install Smile will edit the post to show it up and running

BLU CIVIC

HRTuning Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:54 am

Looking good. I'll add the running pic to the installs page if you want.

HRTuning

Speed Phreak Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Quick an dirty install in my 1995 Integra (DB8). I had intended on using a clock-pod from Quad-Pod.com, however his communication was terrible and never actually shipped me a product I purchased.... anyways /rant.. I decided to drop my TVII in the stock clock position with a make-shift bezel made from the OEM clock. Turned out faily decent and fits with only minor modding to the cavity. I'll snap some better pics later on.

Speed Phreak

HRTuning Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:53 pm

That turned out good. Sorry you had troubles with that company, though.

HRTuning

Speed Phreak Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Thanks for the compliment. No worries about quadpod, I got my money back.

2 questions)

1) is there a way to easily configure the TV to work with a vehicle's dimmer circuit? I'm having issues making out the display during the day when its configured to display the 4x2 iinformation, even with the brightness at full tilt. However at night its too bright. I'm thinking of interfacing a small low-current relay into the TV2's dimming circuit. Basically I'd leave the TV2 set in a lower brightness in the settings and use the relay to engage the dimmer circuit when the park lights are on. Thoughts on this?

2) As mentioned before having trouble seeing the display when it's bright out, any way for me to increase the backlighting on the display to compensate?

Speed Phreak

HRTuning Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:41 am

I have no trouble seeing mine during the day, but you may have it somewhere that gets hit with more light or something. I can't really suggest anything to do for auto-dimming and it only gets as bright as the highest setting unless you get rid of the transistor and run a jumper instead... of course that means it can't be dimmed and it would be way too bright at night.

HRTuning

Speed Phreak Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:27 am

Either my eyes are bad, the location is poor in my vehicle, or the red display may be more prone to ambient light interference than the others due to it's contrast between the LCD/Red backlight. I did find that if I jump past the voltage limiting transistor like mentioned the display backlight becomes almost too bright to even read it. I found the putting 5~10ohms worth of resistance inline versus a jumper made for a brighter display that was usable. With a 5-10Ohm resistor as a jumper the output is brighter than the highest brightness setting by at least double and thats without washing out the display. Unfortunately that high of a lumens output makes it very disruptive at night....

Luckily i'm not shy around a soldering iron or door busting Radio Shack for circuit building materials. I was able to interface a low-current 12v reed relay ($3) into the existing brightness control circuit on the Tunerview. The basic premise is to jumper the backlight for "Day-Mode" and revert back to the onboard brightness adjustment for "Night mode". My design was a bit over-complicated due to the need for a resistor inline to prevent "Day-Mode" from being overtly bright/washed out, i'm not sure if other color-flavors of the Tunerview will have the same need for a resistor.

Step 1) Solder wire leads to the existing outside transitor leads:

Step 2) Verify need for a resistor or not to combat brightness washout by touching the 2 soldered wire leads together. If you can still make out your display acceptably ~then great, I needed 5~10Ohms of resistance, YMMW.

Step 3) Solder wire leads to the coil of the reed-relay. This will be used to interface into the vehicle's dimmer/lighting circuit to control day-mode/night-mode

Step 4 *optional*) Solder resistor onto relay if needed, else skip this step.

Step 5) Connect the wirel leads to the remaining legs of the relay - These will be the "Common" and "Normally Open" legs if looking at the diagram on the package. Be sure to trim these for length and shrink wrap.

Step 6) If youre satisfied with your work, attach the relay to the Tunerview PCB, i used a small drop of super glue for this. The spot in the picture is free of traces/components and fits the relay near perfect.

Step 7) At this point you should be ready to test function in car. Unfortunately I couldn't find a Normally Closed version of this relay, so in car hookup will be a slightly modified from just connecting it to 12v/Gnd. I connected 1 of the trigger/coil leads to a 12V Ignition source and the other to a 12V Illumination source that rests at ground. All these connections were available to me from the factory clock plug in my Integra. If there is a Normally_Closed version available the rest of the process is the same up to this point, one can just connect the trigger wires to Ground and Illuminttion +. Either way, connecting it this way will cause the relay to engage and jumper the brightness to full-tilt while the park-lights are *off*. When switched to *on* the relay we added will disengage causing the Tunerview to revent back to normal function, bightness can still be adjusted via the menu while in "night mode". I've attached a video showing the function of this modification.

Personally this wasn't a very difficult modification, however I can see people not wanting to hack up their own Tunerviews. Perhaps the TV3 could have this feature built into the board Wink

Speed Phreak

HRTuning Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:03 pm

Pretty cool mod. The units with brightness control will get washed out with higher voltage, the one's that don't have brightness control will not.

HRTuning

crvtec Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:23 am

This is what my tunerview looks like in my civic with a crx dash

The oil pressure sensor is messed up and I need a new one that's why it's at 114 psi

crvtec

HRTuning Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:24 am

Looks good. Smile

HRTuning

crvtec Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:34 am

Thanks
Real carbon fiber looks amazing with this.

crvtec

Reply to topic

TunerView II