Those experiencing limp mode on updates (OLD RTP)

Reply to topic

HRTuning Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:50 pm

It's best to go to the one you purchased from. Who did you purchase through?

HRTuning

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address

franniestopdat Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:34 pm

HRTuning wrote:It's best to go to the one you purchased from. Who did you purchase through?

i purchased it through Xenocron. I hoping that I can exchange it through Tony Palo here in Dallas so I don't have to pay for shipping.

franniestopdat

Send private message View user's profile AIM Address

HRTuning Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:44 pm

I know that Tony doesn't have any in stock. It'd be best to go through Chris.

HRTuning

johnfrancis Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:09 am

ok I just got mine from phearable.net I loaded a basemap of aaron. it started good then when I drove it..it was to rich it would bog out or just die so I change the map alittle bit and updated it and now it wont go past 3000rpm(limp mode)can you put me on the list to swap out the boards..no matter what I do it stays on limp mode even uninstalling and reinstalling did not help..

johnfrancis

Send private message View user's profile

98vtec Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:03 am

johnfrancis wrote:ok I just got mine from phearable.net I loaded a basemap of aaron. it started good then when I drove it..it was to rich it would bog out or just die so I change the map alittle bit and updated it and now it wont go past 3000rpm(limp mode)can you put me on the list to swap out the boards..no matter what I do it stays on limp mode even uninstalling and reinstalling did not help..

make sure the board isnt touching anything that will ground it out. If the board is on and it touches metal, you will lose everything and have to reupload the base code. If you have the board in the ecu case, i would first try making sure nothing was going on there.

are you uploading the calibration to the RTP board?

98vtec

johnfrancis Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:22 am

98vtec wrote:
johnfrancis wrote:ok I just got mine from phearable.net I loaded a basemap of aaron. it started good then when I drove it..it was to rich it would bog out or just die so I change the map alittle bit and updated it and now it wont go past 3000rpm(limp mode)can you put me on the list to swap out the boards..no matter what I do it stays on limp mode even uninstalling and reinstalling did not help..

make sure the board isnt touching anything that will ground it out. If the board is on and it touches metal, you will lose everything and have to reupload the base code. If you have the board in the ecu case, i would first try making sure nothing was going on there.

are you uploading the calibration to the RTP board?
I took the cover off the ecu so nothing was touching and I even have a big sticker in between the cover and the board and still on limp mode ...I know I suck at this but damn all I did was was take some fuel off in the lower rpms for the 1000cc injectors..

johnfrancis

HRTuning Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:50 am

None of the new boards have that issue. That problem was with the first batch only. Something else is going on. Key off, disconnect USB cable, connect it again, then try to upload the entire base code again with the key off.

HRTuning

98vtec Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:10 pm

HRTuning wrote:None of the new boards have that issue. That problem was with the first batch only. Something else is going on. Key off, disconnect USB cable, connect it again, then try to upload the entire base code again with the key off.

so the new boards dont have the grounding out problem? I thought i had a new board....lol

98vtec

HRTuning Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:13 pm

No, the reason this thread was started was limp mode on updates which as it states was caused by a bad batch of chips. All electronics have the possibility of grounding out.

HRTuning

wildoutwhitegsr Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:05 am

Unfortunately this happen to me on Saturday before a big race for Sunday. I was tuning at the time with live update on everything was going well and then all of a sudden check engine light on, so I pull over to a nearby parking lot and try to check the code, first in the program and failed, then try doing it by jumping the service connector. Both way's failed. At this time I was consistently trying to connect to the RTP board and it always said connecting, never actually connected. Then I tried restarting Neptune, no go. Then tried restarting the laptop, no go. Next I uninstalled the drivers and tried a different port, no go. Finally jumped out of the car and pulled the fuses to try and clear the code even though the light just stayed solid the whole time and no go.

Called up my tuner that tuned my motor before I got the RTP and he said that without the car being there he can't diagnose the problem, but for the mean time he could burn me a chip to at least get me around. I limped it over to his house and pulled out my ecu along with the RTP board. Tried connecting to the board along with nothing else hooked up to it and nothing, still didn't get connected. Grab my tuners RTP board and plugged it in and it connected right away. Disconnected his board and put mine back in without the ecu hooked up and nothing, just kept saying "connecting..."

Luckly I have my tuners cell number on hand and he was able to help me out for a local race event for the next day. I just wanted to make sure my full throttle a/f ratio's were okay, before lapping. Anyways my tuner is gonna let me know what happens and is working with me to get this resolved. I had the board for about 1.5 weeks and I can honestly say I was just starting to get a good handle on it.

wildoutwhitegsr

HRTuning Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:11 am

Actually, this wouldn't have been your issue. If you'll notice the dates for the posts, this was taken care of in early 07 for every defective unit.

It sounds more like your unit or USB plug is grounding out on the case. Otherwise you would have been able to connect once you reset power to the unit.

HRTuning

wildoutwhitegsr Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:57 am

^^^ I had/have the RTP board out of the ecu casing completely. Plus for that very reason is why I made my usd cutout extra big on the casing. I can guarantee you it's not a grounding out problem. I've eliminated each issue I've read on here one by one. The only one I have left to try is those having problems running Neptune on vista.

This still doesn't explain why I can connect to my tuners RTP board using my laptop, cable and software(also tested in my car) and not my own RTP board...

wildoutwhitegsr

HRTuning Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:10 am

Indeed it does not explain that, however, it's not this defect that caused the problem. You should get your tuner to try to connect to it.

HRTuning

wildoutwhitegsr Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Ok I see what your saying. That's going to be my next step...

wildoutwhitegsr

dyingwish Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:33 pm

To those that had this particular problem......did the car default to limp mode while connected to the ECU but not making changes? I started up this years build for the first time (on the rollers for break in, using my fully tuned calibration from last year) on Sunday. It idled fine, datalogged fine no issues Neptune related.... On Monday I was planning to put down some pulls, so I started the car, connected and let it idle to keep and eye on things. It idled as expected for about ten minutes (ECT reached about 120ish, outside temp as 10) then threw a CEL, wnet dead rich with no codes. It did this twice. Then it started having issues with uploading/downloading, corrupt maps, CEL not shutting off on key cycling. Never had issues previously. Any guesses? My parameter values for everything were SERIOUSLY wrong (like injector size at 41896, VTEC at 250rpm.....way off) no where near where I had set things.

I have since deleted all software on my laptop, and all tune files.....downloaded new files, reinstalled drivers, connected to my ECU, downloaded it's basecode, then added my previous calibration. Following that I shut it all down, reconnected and downloaded both the calibration and bascode and everything was in order. What could have caused that?

dyingwish

Reply to topic

NepTune RTP Software