01 Prelude h22 vtec issue

Reply to topic

01 Prelude h22 vtec issue

01preludeblue Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:19 am

I have a 01 Prelude with a h22 and have been having issues engaging into vtec. Vtec is set to 5200rpm and when I try to engage into it it will bounce off like a rev limiter and bog the car. Went into Neptune and changed the vtec to 3000rpm to see if the issue still happens and it does. Went back and disabled vtec all together and the car runs perfectly fine past 5200rpm all the way to 6900rpm which is where the low cam rev limit is. So obviously the issue is when vtec tries to engage.
I've changed out the distributor which is obd1 internal coil so all the sensors and coil was changed too. Swapped vtec solenoids. Tested my tps map and vss and all are good. Checked my timing marks and all line up and the igniton timing is good. Oil pressure is good. I've tried changing settings like vtec load engagment and issue is still present. Car is street Tuned and neither the tune or anything to the motor was changed before this started happening.
I've also noticed if I floor it in 1st vtec will engage just fine and it will redline with no issues but if I apply partial throttle in 1st it won't engage and will bounce off like a rev limiter. There's no check engine lights car runs fine other than not engaging into vtec. I'm stuck on what the issue can be and need some help to find out what the problem is. Any help will greatly be appreciated.

01preludeblue

Send private message View user's profile

HRTuning Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:43 am

You can see in logging whether VTS is being engaged. You have everything you need to diagnose an ECU/solenoid issue. Since it is being engaged on a WOT pull I have to think the solenoid and ECU are fine. You do have low and high VTEC engagement settings. It sounds like the High Cam tables need proper tuning when not at WOT or your plugs need replaced.

HRTuning

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address

01preludeblue Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:08 am

Forgot to mention both the plugs and wires have been changed. I can see why the high cam tables need to be Tuned properly but I never had this issue on the same tune and all of a sudden it started happening on the same tune.

01preludeblue

Send private message View user's profile

HRTuning Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:05 pm

Yes, but by your details everything is functional. Use datalogging to tell if any data appears incorrect in these scenarios.

HRTuning

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address

Reply to topic

General Questions