Tuning an Automatic

Reply to topic

tallh22a Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:18 pm

skaterdudz02 wrote:Well here's an update for all of you.

I have a 94 Accord EX auto that is base tuned on Neptune. I have done all the base tuning myself (street tuned) and I just wanted to say that it works.

Granted you are right tallh22a, a P75 chipped will work with the autos, but so will a P28 off of a Civic. I will confirm it if you want a vid or something. That's what I'm using. Actually it's a P06 converted to P28. Car runs, boosts, and shifts like it normally did, if not better. Before when I had the FMU unit, it would slip from gear to gear under low boost 2-3lbs when it was on the cold side, ECT around 140F. You also couldn't feel a shift, it felt like the transmission was like a CVT. LOL bad example but best way to describe it.

Now, you can feel the shift, even in boost. I feel IMO the car runs better and plus it's base tuned, so it's not running too bad. The ONLY downside I see as this moment is a D4 blinking light, and if you want, I will pull the codes and check it out, if you'd like just so I can be 100 percent certain about all of it.

Btw, thanks for the help hrtuning on using the P72 basemap for the accord. VTEC kicks in, but I still get a CEL at 3K for some reason. I'm going to look more into it tomorrow.

Congratulations on getting Neptune to manage the engine of your automatic transmission equipped Accord and for tuning it yourself! The flashing D4 is probably due to your TCU looking for communication from your ECU that your P06 cannot provide. That problem is why I suggest the P75. A flashing D4 does not fit my personal defination of a setup working without any problems. The main thing is that you are happy with what you have. A strategically placed piece of black electrical tape over the D4 light should cut down on the aggrevation of the D4 flashing at you all the time.
The CEL at 3K could have something to do with the ECU trying to open some intake manifold butterflies (the IAB - Intake Air Bypass) that your intake manifold does not have. Just a guess.

Good luck!

tallh22a

Send private message View user's profile

HRTuning Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:47 pm

The butterflies do not cause a code.

HRTuning

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address

skaterdudz02 Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks Tallh22a, I'll definitely look more into it now. Hope all the information about the auto transmissions works for anyone who has questions.

-Tom

skaterdudz02

tallh22a Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:58 pm

skaterdudz02 wrote:Thanks Tallh22a, I'll definitely look more into it now. Hope all the information about the auto transmissions works for anyone who has questions.

-Tom

Tom - thanks for spreading the word about the ability of Neptune to control an automatic transmission equipped vehicle - especially Accords! I'm sure along the way someone has told you "Just switch to a stick - it'll be so much easier!" My hat is off to you for taking the path less traveled upon! Keep tuning and post your results - there are people that are interested.

Best regards, Robert (a.k.a. tallh22a)

tallh22a

HRTuning Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:19 pm

Yes, there are. People do ask me and I always tell them it's possible. Smile

HRTuning

skaterdudz02 Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:29 pm

tallh22a wrote:
skaterdudz02 wrote:Thanks Tallh22a, I'll definitely look more into it now. Hope all the information about the auto transmissions works for anyone who has questions.

-Tom

Tom - thanks for spreading the word about the ability of Neptune to control an automatic transmission equipped vehicle - especially Accords! I'm sure along the way someone has told you "Just switch to a stick - it'll be so much easier!" My hat is off to you for taking the path less traveled upon! Keep tuning and post your results - there are people that are interested.

Best regards, Robert (a.k.a. tallh22a)

No problem, and hey, it's my pleasure to fulfill and add additional information to this board. You're right though, people have said to convert it to stick, and after 9 long months I finally found a donor car with all the necessary parts to transfer my car to a stick. Reason why I haven't converted first yet, was because of this one reason. I wanted to see if a chipped ECU would work with an automatic Accord. Hondata says no on their board, so Neptune was worth a shot, and it worked. I am, however, unsure of an auto civic/integra if it will work. My assumption would be yes, and reason being, Accord transmission's IMO are a little more sophisticated than civic/integra transmissions.

So here's a little update on my progress.

I found out why I was getting a CEL at 3k. Turns out it was the MIL shift light I enabled at 4k. Pretty weird/odd. My tach says 3k yet, Datalogging on Neptune it reads 4k. Even at idle, it's about 400rpms off. I have decided to pull out my dad's snap on timing light and take a closer look and see which one is correct. Has anyone had a symptom such as this? Maybe this is one of the things the transmission does that it needs? I haven't a clue if it is involved but I will definitely be taking a closer look.

As for boost, feels good, up to about 4k (on the tach); after that, it runs really rich, so I've been trying to work the maps a little better.

Here's a little info about the car, for those wondering or not if they shall boost or not.

94 Honda Accord EX
136k when turbo was installed
145k on odometer right now
Stock internals (Top & bottom end)
Stock OEM head gasket
Stock MAP sensor
T25 Garrett turbo (Oil/Water cooled)
F22B Log manifold
Stock injectors
Stock Fuel Pump/Rail/Regulator
Autolite spark plugs (Gap .32)
2.5' exhaust
2 1/4 charge pipes
FMIC 2.5 Inlet/Outlet
GT BOV

Overall, the setup is strong. Doesn't burn ANY oil, just loses it. LOL Oil pump gasket is spitting a quart every 800-1000 miles. Any questions, feel free to ask. Here are some pictures.

skaterdudz02

HRTuning Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Nice setup.

The tach being off is pretty common. NepTune is reading directly from the ECU, so trust that instead.

Where do you have VTEC coming in at?

HRTuning

ncturbocivic Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:20 pm

I see that a 95 TCU was used in tuning these cars. I have someone asking about going for gas mileage on a 92 accord. I have the P75 but would like to know if I have to switch the car over to a 94-95 TCU(PN: 28100-POJ-A03) from the 92-93 TCU (PN: 28100-PX4-722) or does it matter?

ncturbocivic

Reply to topic

NepTune Chip Based Questions/Comments