"Generic" 4 bar map sensor

Reply to topic

"Generic" 4 bar map sensor

claytonsmith Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:28 am

Hello all,

I'm in the process of building a vitara d series setup. I'm not ignorant in concept and theory, and this is not my first honda, or my first turbo car. I've never physically had my hands, or used, on a Neptune-fitted ecu, though. I chose to go with it because everyone seems to rave about the support for the product. I'm sort of going through a "check list" of parts and actions and I find myself browsing 4 bar map sensors. Present day, it looks like Hondata and Omnipower retail the same plug and play 4 bar map.

This is where i start scratching my head. An amazon search shows that there are "plug and play" 4 bar sensors available in the sub-$20 range. link here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076V6L8FB/?coliid=I1W2K7QM3L3DBS&colid=UMYA9XTRZJVZ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it Physically, these seem to be identical to the Omnipower and Hondata sensor. The plastic looks to be of the same material, the mold flashing is similar, the mold design looks similar through the different branded sensors. The only difference I can see, physically, from photos, is that the rivet color holding the case halves together is different with this "cheap" sensor. The Omnipower and Hondata has silver colored rivets while this one has rivets that looks like raw brass. I located ANOTHER one that is visually identical, branded by a company called "Tuner Wizard." Tuner Wizard lists data for their sensor, which appears to be the cheaper ( suspected cheaper, anyway) brass rivet sensor.

So, from what I can tell, it looks like there are only two plug and play 4 bar sensors on the market. It just seems to come down to who brands it as what and what color the rivets are. It's totally possible that the internal circuitry and the sensor itsself are drastically different, but who knows?? I'm suspecting that the brass rivet variants are cheap, chinese products that are reverse engineered. Although, it's entirely possible that they're all made in the same factory somewhere and different color rivets were spec'd on the contract order.

Does anyone have any experience with the "Cheap" sensor? If so, what were your thoughts? Has anyone verified scalar and offset data for these cheapies?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any insight. I appreciate your time!

claytonsmith

Send private message View user's profile

Linszter Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:45 am

Here (Hungary) a company sold 3bar cheap MAP sensor for around 32USD. 4 out of 5 (what I got from customers) was actually stock scale and not 3bar. One had a serial number and I found out you can get it from China for 6USD with shipping. Some of the "working" sensor has off scale (or not linear) or cracked/leaking housing. I prefer to buy a reliable one.

Linszter

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website

claytonsmith Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:46 pm

Thank you for the information. That's what I was looking for. I figured they may be identical in appearance, but not in quality or consistency. Good information.

claytonsmith

Send private message View user's profile

Reply to topic

General Questions