Neptune Setup Issues

Reply to topic

Neptune Setup Issues

Geis Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:58 pm

Hey guys, so I watches a couple vids on getting started with neptune, followed the directions, and ran into some issues.

It said I needed to update the firmware after asking to validate the key (this is a second handed demon 2 obd1 I bought off ebay). After I updated to 1.9, I started neptune and it did not ask for any key validation, actually two windows opened, one saying I'm connected and the other saying it was disconnected. I close the window saying it was disconnected and started using the one that said connected, and went on from there to create a basemap so my car can run.

Went through the standard procedure for the neptune basic basemap creator, I chose p75 as my ecu (have no clue what it really is, p28 I believe? Does this matter?) and p75 as the map. The (ve?) table popped up, and I saved it in the neptune folder as my basemap tune. I then tried uploading it several times, and then would attempt starting the car afterwards and I could not get the car to start, thus I'm not sure if the map is loading properly.

Previous to this I started the car on presumably the prior owner's map, I believe it was for a turbo build and it idled pretty high/rich from the smell. I am unaware of why the map isn't changing to what I uploaded, because I think if it were then the car would start up no problem (b20b engine, sorry forgot to mention)

Sorry for long post but tldr; map isn't uploading, b20b engine, need a basic map so I can get smogged (shitty cpk sensor is bad and I know the obd1 doesn't detect it so I would like to run a basic map for my engine just for smog/daily driving until I get the turbo installed)

Geis

Send private message View user's profile

HRTuning Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:01 pm

Choose the map and settings that best represent the ECU and engine configuration.

Upload a tune to the device. If you don't have a CEL and are able to datalog then the ECU is properly running what you've uploaded.

HRTuning

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address

Geis Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:20 pm

Well, I reset demon, disconnected to let neptune reconfigure and then reconnected, went to neptune base, only changed transmission and selected p28 ecu (I believe this is the version I have) with a p75 map first, then a p72 map after. Both times I attempted to datalog and upload the maps but I believe some user error has occurred, because my car is throwing a cel and will not start. I know it's not my engine because the regular obd2 allows it to fire up and run perfectly. Any thoughts?

Geis

HRTuning Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:12 pm

If you have a solid CEL you're in limp mode. You will not be able to datalog real-time data in limp mode. It will be defaults. If you can datalog you can check codes.

If you're in limp mode check your install and ECU.

HRTuning

Geis Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:10 am

Well I guess I could unhook the ecu to make sure all the connections are good, don't know how they would've been undone. Other than that, should I just uninstall and then reinstall neptune perhaps? I'm not sure what other ways there are to diagnose this.

Geis

HRTuning Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:40 am

You've outlined this as a hardware issue, so re-installing the software will not make any difference. Check the hardware install and ECU.

HRTuning

Geis Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:00 pm

Well I should mention that before I tried using neptune on the ecu I started it and it ran pretty roughly (as aforementioned)
Before using neptune on the ecu it was throwing no CEL codes at all, it was only after attempting to get a basemap running that things got screwy. I don't know what could've happened hardware-wise since then, seeing how it really hasn't been touched. Do you still think it's for sure a problem with the ecu itself, and if so should I get an expert to take a look at it? Thanks for all your help as well.

Geis

HRTuning Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:32 pm

Are you able to datalog? Is the red light on the demon on or off when you key on?

HRTuning

Geis Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:49 pm

I'll check tonight when I get home

Geis

Geis Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:52 am

Great news! So I got my laptop hooked up to the ecu, put the key in the on position, and actually created the basemap while the key was in the on position. Afterwards, it fired up and I saw the data tables changing and the VE map monitoring the idle/(map? still a noob lol) I didn't even bother uploading the map, merely making the map while the key was in the on position was enough for the ecu to be running it; Perhaps I made a really stupid error and didn't try uploading the map while the key was in the on position the other day, if this was my mistake then shame on me for sure.

On the p28 ecu type it ran rough, so I almost immediately turned it off. I started with another new basemap, this time with p75 ecu type and p75 map (b20 stock engine, mind you). Afterwards I turned the key and the key started immediately...only problem was the cel was still on, so after clearing the codes it still is giving me code 21 vtec malfunction. Seeing how this is a p28 ecu I thought it made sense when it gave me that error only because on the original map I was running p28 ecu type, but now even with p75 ecu type it still is giving me code 21. I looked around for somewhere to disable vtec, in parameters I found a bunch of options I didn't think I should mess with but I ended up checking the box to ignore vtec errors or something like that. Any thoughts on what to do?

Now that I'm getting to know neptune better, I can always record a datalog for you if you would like, and thanks for the help again I was getting pretty desperate today (rewiring the ecu harness for the ckf bypass trick...ended up giving me a cel for o2 sensor somehow)

Geis

HRTuning Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:26 pm

This is good progress, but opening a tune on the PC does not ensure it's on the device. You must upload basecode or calibration. I think your code will be gone if you've started with a P75 this time.

HRTuning

Geis Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:21 pm

Car started up kinda rough (took more cranks of the starter motor than usual) after creating and uploading a basemap while the key was in the on position, I'm thinking maybe it was because there apparently are two neptunes that open every time I click on it (shitty laptop, i dunno)
Afterwards I datalogged and started it up a couple times, cleared the codes and no CEL is on which is fantastic. All of the startups after the initial one took no starter effort at all, so I"m fairly confident I should be running the p75 map with no problems. The engine did start making a bit of a whistle noise that I haven't heard before (or last night) , I'm not certain what it was but it seemed to die down a bit after the motor began to warm up (belts perhaps). I'm trying to sort out a rear brake issue, then I will take it out for a spin and hopefully be on the way to the smog station Smile

Geis

HRTuning Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:49 pm

Excellent, much further along than when you started!

HRTuning

Geis Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:09 am

So got a temporary brake solution for now, took the car for a quick spin around the neighborhood and she ran very well, practically identical to what I remember before. I data logged the whole thing, the only things I thought were a bit off was
1. the initial startup still took more starter than with my obd2 ecu, not sure if the basemap is somehow not configured correctly for the b20...most people say to run p75 with them, I guess I'll just have to see if the problem persist.
2. I let the car warm up before taking it out, and during my little run I quickly took it out a main street for a quick pull. The engine sounded fine, but I noticed somewhere around 4-5k rpms the tach cut out and went to 0 even though I heard the engine was still winding out perfectly. I'm not sure if something with the ecu or tune is causing this, but that was a bit weird for sure. Happened the second time I tried it as well.

I definitely have more studying to do on neptune.

Geis

HRTuning Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:31 am

Great.

If you were OBD2 you may not pass emissions with an OBD1 ECU.

The tune is not connected to the tach.

HRTuning

Reply to topic

General Questions