d16y8 obd2 cam gear vs. d16y8 with z6 cam gear

Reply to topic

HRTuning Thu May 12, 2011 5:02 am

I know, but not something I'm looking to support. Smile

HRTuning

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address

hjdanzi Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Alright. First off, thanks for the answers and also sorry for not replying back. I though i had Instant mail notification enabled, and since i didnt receive any notification i thought noone was checking it out. I beg you all pardon.

Now... Ive tuned just one y8 using the stock cam gear and crank pulley. NO, i dont think im right. I just said ive done it. That was done in crome pro. The tuning went smooth although i had to use a lot of timing for the car to start and idle. Then for the rest of the map, i looked for mbt and it ended up being much lower than the z6. The stock y8 i tuned ended up with 124whp and 140hp. This was done in 2009, if i recall right. Here's the link to the part in my web were ive posted it. http://www.publicgaragetuning.com.ar/d16y8.html

So next time, i should buy an ob1 cam gear and guesstimate the 16 mark in the crank pulley and use p28 basetiming 16.

I hate y7/y8 series. And i defintly hate obd2.

hjdanzi

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

moozregie Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:14 am

once the cam gear issue is acknowledged by the tuner...the rest of the obd2 d16 motor issues aren't horrible...
this STRICTLY depends on your power goals however
it has inferior crank design with less oiling and a lower flowing oil pump...
beyond that...if your power goals rise above typically achieved levels of 225-250hp on a good tune...
...it becomes only typical mods to ready an engine along the same lines of any d-series motor
i would definitely recommend an obd1 d16 crankshaft however
also the oil pump should be ported and possibly shimmed
you cant run an obd1 oil pump as you will lose the dipstick (relocated to the oil pump on obd2 d16's)

advantages of the obd2 d16 include possible aftermarket controls with the ckf (crank position sensor) not found on obd1 d-series
also the AIT (air temperature) has been relocated to the intake charge pipe...potentially a better reading
potentially a better stock intake manifold...as well as the ability to add EGR from the d16y5 or jdm d15b 3-stage vtec intake manifolds
and also a stock tap for a knock sensor...another form of engine monitoring available in the aftermarket and stock ecu
also the obd2's have smaller chamber head design...one more factor that can work to your advantage on varying engine builds

moozregie

Send private message View user's profile AIM Address

hjdanzi Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:39 pm

moozregie wrote:once the cam gear issue is acknowledged by the tuner...the rest of the obd2 d16 motor issues aren't horrible...
this STRICTLY depends on your power goals however
it has inferior crank design with less oiling and a lower flowing oil pump...
beyond that...if your power goals rise above typically achieved levels of 225-250hp on a good tune...
...it becomes only typical mods to ready an engine along the same lines of any d-series motor
i would definitely recommend an obd1 d16 crankshaft however
also the oil pump should be ported and possibly shimmed
you cant run an obd1 oil pump as you will lose the dipstick (relocated to the oil pump on obd2 d16's)

advantages of the obd2 d16 include possible aftermarket controls with the ckf (crank position sensor) not found on obd1 d-series
also the AIT (air temperature) has been relocated to the intake charge pipe...potentially a better reading
potentially a better stock intake manifold...as well as the ability to add EGR from the d16y5 or jdm d15b 3-stage vtec intake manifolds
and also a stock tap for a knock sensor...another form of engine monitoring available in the aftermarket and stock ecu
also the obd2's have smaller chamber head design...one more factor that can work to your advantage on varying engine builds

Thanks for the input... 225-250hp on a good tune is achievable on an n/a setup? fuck, im not that good. lol. It is impossible to get 250hp on an n/a d16y8 without heavy mods... with the common i/h/e combo... you will never leave... sorry.. I WILL NEVER LEAVE the 1XXhps.

hjdanzi

hjdanzi Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:57 pm

The art of Thread jacking! lol! J/K...

hjdanzi

Tuner Thu May 17, 2012 3:52 pm

What a fantastic post from yours about "NepTune Chip Based Questions/Comments" ! I think your article is so well about neptune facts, I like your article very much. Thanks for your nice informative sharing.

Tuner

Send private message View user's profile

Reply to topic

NepTune Chip Based Questions/Comments