Buying a Neptune/Demon used?

Reply to topic

Buying a Neptune/Demon used?

NealWright Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Hello ... I know this is a tough question for an OEM, but right now I think a used unit may be the only thing in my budget.

I'd like to ask though ... will you still support the Neptune product if I am not the original purchaser? And, I know that you work off of software licenses (instead of hardware) ... if a seller gives me his original software key code, will that work? Or, will I be forced to purchase another license?

FYI ... I currently have an S100, with a so/so (more on the not so) tune. I feel that I am plenty competent enough to tune a car, but do (or any Neptune suppliers) have the ability to even give me a print screen dump of the ign / fuel maps? One of my only hold ups on the Neptune right now ... is that Hondata will complete socket a new ECU, upgrade to S300, and pre-load my S100 program for $425 w/boost.

I'd like not to start from complete scratch, but maybe your "basemaps" are in good enough shape to where they could start off?

Thanks for any help. Neal

NealWright

Send private message View user's profile

HRTuning Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:42 pm

If you looked at all through the posts here I never once ask if someone posting is the original owner. I support my products where ever they may be.

Anyone with the Hondata software can copy your maps over to NepTune and make adjustments from there if necessary. You'll have to setup the load and RPM scalars to match because only the maps themselves are copied in Hondata.

HRTuning

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address

NealWright Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:45 am

Wow, thanks for the fast reply!

Hondata's tough ... I don't like that they won't allow their software out, with the purchase of their product, but so be it. The closest tuner I can find is 4hrs away. He thinks I just need an adjustment to my chassis voltage (which really doesn't make sense to me) ... but won't do it without $200 to setup on the dyno.

Yeah, if I could find someone to even do a print screen dump from my current setup I could work with that. I know that most MAP and RPM tables aren't the same resolution, but I can easily interpolate in between points myself.

Thank you again for the information on buying my friends Neptune! As far as the software license, what would I need for that? Is it good enough to just have his original purchase code, or is something actually saved onto his laptop? And, does Neptune use the same ECU socketing mod's as what my S100 does? For some reason, I thought I read Hondata uses an "odd" modification to the board.

One other question while I'm at ... I tried searching, but didn't seem to find my answer. Does Neptune support AEM Wideband Meter? I've used LC-1's many times ... but this is the first car I've had AEM, and from what I understand, it does not have outputs for both the gauge meter ... and the ECU at the same time? Since my gauge meter is reading, I'm assuming my current Hondata is not operating in wideband closed loop (but hey, I can't read the code).

Thanks again for your support. I'm trying soon to get converted over to Neptune, and then will be much happier.
Neal

NealWright

Send private message View user's profile

HRTuning Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:57 am

That doesn't sound right.

It's not the resolution, which can be anything, you just need to have the same breakpoints in order for it to run close to the same. Since the MAP and RPM scalars aren't copied during the copy process you'll just need to set them manually. Easy enough.

You'll need the software key.

NepTune supports any wideband with an analog output between 0 and 5 volts. The scale is programmable in the software. I'm not sure how it works with the gauge and whatnot, you'll have to read the manual for that.

HRTuning

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address

Reply to topic

NepTune Chip Based Questions/Comments