turbo suggestions.

Reply to topic

turbo suggestions.

FranktheTank Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:03 am

I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction. I'm wanting to make around 350whp on a stock/near stock b16. I was wondering if you guys could give me some general suggestions on the size turbo that would suit. I'm definitely a tuner on a budget and I'd love to have a nice garrett or turbonetics turbo. But new they are close to a 1,000+ and I don't think I can swing that. I'm looking on ebay and craigslist for a used one. It seems like thats an option as they go anywhere between 300-500 which sounds much sweeter. Smile Still i'm not sure the size to get. It was suggested to me that a gt2871 would be about the right size. is there other brand turbos that are similar in size and quality? Also whats the pros and cons to an internal or external wastegate? I realize I probably sound like an idiot but I've always messed with N/A. I've done a bunch of stuff with cars just never explored the turbo world yet and would like any suggestions. Thanks!

FranktheTank

Send private message View user's profile

HRTuning Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm not sure of any equivalents. You may want to just take a look at some turbo sales and find posts with either graphs or listed power outputs on similar setups that will give you an idea of what you may want to use.

HRTuning

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address

akmotorworks Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Frank,
Making that sort of power is pretty easy, there are proven methods, but Ill be the first in saying, if you dont pay for quality parts now, youll pay to fix inferior parts.

Think carefully about what your doing with your budget.

If you dont go ball bearing, a bush bearing will do, but they will spool slower and the response is different. If you can afford, Id recommend the GT30 with a .63AR

The ECU you have is going to be great in controlling it

akmotorworks

Send private message View user's profile Visit poster's website

FranktheTank Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:57 pm

Yeah I agree with spending my budget right. I'm all about not getting cheap parts. If I had the money it would be fully built by endyn!Very Happy But seeing as how thats not possible I'll try looking for that particular turbo. I should be able to find a good used one for under $500 I was thinking that would be a good option just because of what I've been reading on forums and looking at dyno sheets.
What about turbonetics and precision turbos? Have you had any experience with them? I also read alot last night about internal vs
external wastegates. What seemed to be the overall theme was that internal was better for low boost but makes surging more of an issue and external were easier to control and you have more options for size. They also said that an external was better suited for 12+ psi which is what I'll need for 350whp on the b16. Any help/suggestions are very appreciated guys!

FranktheTank

Send private message View user's profile

Reply to topic

NepTune Chip Based Questions/Comments